Sunday 26 October 2008

X Factor - Week 3


Week 3 and X Factor is hot, hot, HOT! With only a few dud finalists in my view the competition seems to be wide open this year with an extremely strong girl contingent both in Cheryl and Danni’s category. This week was Big Band week, been done before, same old thing but it does sort the men from the boys so I was excited to see who would do what tonight.

First up was Scott with his version of “That’s Life”. It was a good opener to the show with Scott owning the stage and the song but he got a mixed review from the panel with Louis saying the performance was good, that Scott was a nice guy but there was “something missing”.

Immediately on his tales was Daniel with what I thought a very lack lustre performance of “The Lady is a Tramp.” I have to admit I still cannot see why Daniel made it through the finals….he can sing but I have feeling to agree with Simon when he said “I genuinely don’t believe you’re going to win.” Daniel’s performances come across as very club lounge-ish and I can see that learning a set to travel the clubs and pubs in would work, but singing live on a show such as X factor with the talent he’s up against just isn’t going to work.

Having the first two acts disappoint a little I was waiting with anticipation for the first of the girls and Laura White. This girl is incredible, I remember her first audition where she sang “I can’t get off my high horse” and I was completely amazed then and she continues to become better and better. Her rendition of Billie Holidays’ “God Bless the Child” was mind blowingly great with Simon uttering the words “World Class”, Louis “Incredible” and Danni “Fantastic”. I did however worry that the viewers, not recognising the song, might perhaps not vote for her, perhaps favouring artists singing familiar big band songs that would hit the correct note.

Next up was Eoghan, and I’m sorry, I just don’t get this act, why is he here? If Louis says there’s something missing from Scott then why on earth does he think that Eoghan is “The one to beat”? I’m totally confused but I guess I was totally confused with Leon last year. Eoghan sings “Love was made for you and me” which I think is reedy, nervous, and though he tries to put in some swing and dance it fails to even slightly impress – however, the panel seem to blown away…Hmmmmm……

Danni’s up next with Ruth Lorenzo and after being in last weeks sing off I’m really rooting for this girl. I think Simon is wrong when he says she has to sing in Spanish because she is Spanish, as she says in her VT, this is a British competition and she’s in Britain, she wants to sing in English and she does it amazingly. I always liked this girl and tonight she proves what’s she worth with a truly fantastic performance of the classic “Summertime”. Simon compliments her with “Best performance and so far” and admits that on this occasion she was right to sing in English – finally Simon! Plus – did you see that dress?! She was HOT!

Our favourite Alexandra is next with her “Candyman”, the Christine Aguilera classic. I love that she’s not doing a ballad, I love the styling and that she’s mixed it up a bit but Christine gets away with this song because a) the video is GREAT and b) she’s already known so the song doesn’t have to be amazing lyric wise. I feel that Alex pulls it off with tremendous force, but the song is slightly lacking something. However, with Louis’s “your back in the race” and Simon’s “a fantastic performance” who am I to judge?

Six down and four to go and so back with the boys its hottie Austin up next (although has anyone noticed just how short this guy is?). His “Mack the Knife” is awesome, I love the song, he wins over the audience and commands the stage. For Big Band week it works but the Austin I know and love is more rock, more grunge so I’m looking forward to next week.

It’s the last group in the competition next with JLS and their rendition of “Aint that a kick in the Head”. Its smooth, its classic, they suave and sophisticated though I agree with Simon when he says the voices are off a little. However, it doesn’t really matter because they put on a great performance and all take part rather than the usual one front man and other backing singers that many groups resort to.
Quirky, wonderful Diana is up next in a flapper style dress, sitting on a quaint little swing in a stage of mist and singing the classic “Smile”. I LOVE Diana. She’s totally different from everyone, she’s like a mini Kate Bush, she makes the song her own and a contemporary piece for what is an old song. And as Simon said “It was understated but it was still brilliant.”

And last, but not least, and bringing an AMAZING voice to the stage comes Rachel Hylton. Her styling tonight was incredible, her voice, though not perfect, still amazing and I thought she closed the show with utter style. Singing “Feelin Good”, she certainly was after, as was I!

So that’s it….ten contestant’s done, so who was in the sing off? Well the public got it totally right tonight with Scott and Daniel in the firing line. Their start to the show really was lack lustre and didn’t inspire and to be honest I really found myself not being able to remember just what they’d done. Scott chose to sing “I can’t make you love me” and Daniel sings “To where you are” as a dedication to his late wife. In my opinion Scott sings better but the judges – both Louis and Cheryl having the deciding factors, believe that Daniel puts more spirit into his performances and it is a gutted Scott that leaves the show. Louis was even choked with tears which is incredible after the hard time he’s given Daniel in the past, but its Daniel in, Scott out, can’t wait for next week! DISCO!


ITV - Saturdays - 19.30

No comments: